In 2012, Jay Krottinger and Ryan Tanner formed a new Tulsa theater company: Square 1 Theatrics. During the last three years, the company has seen tremendous growth. Its talents were first applauded in 2013 when Krottinger and Tanner won Tony Awards for the production of Pippin. Now, two years later, they’re bringing home two more prestigious awards.
As co-producers of Memphis The Musical, Square 1 Theatrics’ first international production, Krottinger and Tanner can now add to their trophy case two Olivier Awards, London theatre’s most respected award that’s been celebrating its theatre industry since 1976.
On Sunday, April 12, London’s Royal Opera House in Covent Garden filled with those anxiously awaiting the reveal.
“It was pretty extraordinary,” Krottinger says of the ceremony. “It’s still a little bit surreal.”
Among nine total nominations, making it the year’s most nominated production, Memphis The Musical won Best Sound Design for Gareth Owen and Best Theatre Choreographer for Sergio Trujillo.
Premiering in London’s West End in October 2014 and turning Shaftesbury Theatre’s stage into the underground dance clubs of the 1950s, Memphis’ rave reviews parallel the sentiment; The Huffington Post called it “the hottest show in London,” The Sun said, “If you don’t give it a standing ovation then maybe it’s time to get your hearing checked” and TheatreGuide.London called the production, “A big, brassy tune-full, dance-full, showstopper-full broadway musical.”
Krottinger made sure to acknowledge that these awards are not just Square 1’s.
“We share them with our constituents and Tulsa,” he says. “We couldn’t do it without the Tulsa community and those involved in supporting our efforts. This wouldn’t have been possible without our investors and their support and belief in what we do.
Olivier Award Nominations
- Best Sound Design – Gareth Owen (Winner)
- Best Costume Design – Paul Tazewell
- Best Theatre Choreographer – Sergio Trujillo (Winner)
- Autograph Sound Award For Outstanding Achievement In Music – David Bryan, Joe DiPietro, Tim Sutton and the Memphis Band
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role In A Musical – Rolan Bell
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role In A Musical – Jason Pennycooke
- Best Actor In A Musical – Killian Donnelly
- Best Actress In A Musical – Beverley Knight
- Best New Musical – Memphis